The Coastal Conservation League is a nonprofit conservation organization that works with communities, elected officials, businesses, and citizen groups to protect the natural landscapes, abundant wildlife, clean air and water, and quality of life along the South Carolina coast. We are a group of 36 passionate individuals and tackle issues such as flooding, offshore drilling, improving transportation, and smart growth along the coast of South Carolina. We have offices in Charleston, Georgetown, Beaufort, and Columbia as well as operating a food hub in the Charleston area called GrowFood Carolina.
The Coastal Conservation League is seeking a part-time Human Resource Officer who is experienced, reliable, and task oriented. Located in the Charleston office, the Human Resource Officer is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation. The Human Resource Officer provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans and reports to the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, professional, detail-oriented team player who is capable of managing a dynamic workload and prioritizing tasks in a fast-paced conservation advocacy nonprofit organization.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Establishes and implements HR efforts that effectively communicate and support the company’s mission and strategic vision
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; training and development; and working with the Chief Financial Officer on compensation, benefits, and leave
- Develops comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans that promote a climate of diversity, equity, and inclusion to meet the human capital needs of strategic goals
- Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications
- Implements new hire orientation
- With the Executive Director, conducts annual performance reviews and implements employee recognition programs
- Provides support and guidance to management and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations
- Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills and a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Required Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of three or more years of human resource management experience preferred.
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Human Resources Officer” in the subject line. Only candidates who submit cover letters along with resumes will be considered for this position. The deadline for applying for this position is January 13, 2020.