The Coastal Conservation League is a nonprofit conservation organization that works with communities, elected officials, businesses, and citizen groups to protect the natural landscapes, abundant wildlife, clean air and water, and quality of life along the South Carolina coast. We are a group of 36 passionate individuals and tackle issues such as flooding, offshore drilling, improving transportation, and smart growth along the coast of South Carolina. We have offices in Charleston, Georgetown, Beaufort, and Columbia as well as operating a food hub in the Charleston area called GrowFood Carolina.
We have just completed a five-year, $20 million campaign and are reorganizing to establish a sustainable post-campaign fundraising structure. Accordingly, the Coastal Conservation League is searching for a full-time Major Gift Officer whose primary responsibility will be the identifying, qualifying, soliciting, and stewarding of major gift donors. This position will serve as a part of the Development team and will work to support primarily major gift initiatives. As appropriate, the Major Gift Officer will also identify and coordinate the management of key volunteers. The Major Gift Officer will be expected to manage a portfolio of prospects while also collaborating with fundraising colleagues within the Coastal Conservation League. This position reports to the Director of Development.
This position requires the ability to travel, primarily within the state, to meet with donors and to assist with events. Occasional evening and weekend work are required to be successful in this role.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit prospects to create and grow a pipeline of major gift ($10,000 and above) donors
- Conduct at least 20-25 personal meetings with prospects and donors monthly and submit a minimum of 5 solicitations monthly
- Strategically develop and manage a portfolio with approximately 75-80 prospects and donors capable of making gifts of $10,000 or more
- Create and implement comprehensive strategies to leverage networks and maximize fundraising results
- Identify, coordinate and manage key volunteers, including Board and Board Committee members
- Collaborate with colleagues to help align donors’ philanthropic interests with various priorities across the organization
- Coordinate stewardship efforts as needed with appropriate colleagues
- Perform other duties as required or assigned
- Ability to work well with volunteers and colleagues as part of a team
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining consistent and transparent communication with a team and leadership
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with a high attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Experience in cold calling, negotiating, and closing
- Self-motivated and self-starting
- Good listener
- Optimism, perseverance and a positive attitude
- Ability to travel around the state and to other areas of the country as needed
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
- Competency in working in donor database and Microsoft Office Suite
- Three or more years of experience in fundraising or closely related field
- Volunteer management experience
- Knowledge of principles, practices and ethics of fundraising
Education and Experience
3-4 years of related experience in major gift fundraising or a closely related field (such as sales or wealth management)
Post-baccalaureate credentials or bachelor’s degree preferred
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Major Gift Officer” in the subject line. Only candidates who submit cover letters along with resumes will be considered for this position.