The Coastal Conservation League seeks an experienced Land Use and Transportation Specialist. The Conservation League is a non-profit conservation organization that works with communities, businesses, citizen groups and constituents to protect what we love about South Carolina. Since 1989, we have been working to protect the natural environment of the South Carolina coastal plain and to enhance the quality of life of our communities by ensuring balanced solutions.
Under the direction of the Chief Conservation Officer, the Land Use and Transportation Specialist will work with the Land Use Program Director on coastal issues involving land use and transportation policy and planning. The candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic work environment, and be able to manage diverse projects.
- Working closely with citizens, businesses, and public officials to plan and develop communities and transportation systems that accommodate growth while protecting the environmental, historic, and cultural resources of the Lowcountry.
- Developing and executing short-term, annual, and long-term plans for various land use and transportation initiatives.
- Educating Lowcountry residents about the benefits of developing lands following traditional mixed-use urban patterns that reduce dependence on automobile use and the consumption of rural and agricultural lands.
- Managing day to day implementation of projects’ strategic plans.
- Monitoring and identifying potential issues related to CCL’s mission, including public notices, permits, and/or
- Researching and analyzing the necessary data to fully understand projects and issues.
- Attending public meetings and hearings to gather information and/or represent Conservation League interests.
- Providing leadership and supporting grassroots efforts.
- Assisting with establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community members, governmental bodies, and other organizations and foundations; including supporting conservation and growth management activities by building and managing grassroots networks and activities and by working with local planning staff, elected officials and others.
- Working with the development team on grant proposals and to develop and nurture relationships with Board members, donors, and members of CCL.
The ideal candidate must also possess:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field
- At least three years of relevant experience
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient user of Adobe Creative Suites and GIS Mapping
- Willingness and ability to attend events beyond work hours
- Experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional attention to details
- Creative problem-solving capability
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects
The successful candidate must have a love for environmental advocacy work and enjoy working with and meeting people. He/She must also have an appreciation for the Lowcountry.
He/She must be able to manage internal and external relationships, and make decisions in a variety of situations. This position requires strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as attention to detail. Also, the candidate must be a team player who is adaptable to changing work priorities, and is deadline driven.
This position does require travel occasionally to Columbia and other Coastal Conservation League offices, as well as to conferences and meetings, as needed.
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits located in our Charleston, South Carolina office. The Conservation League offers a competitive salary and a exciting work environment.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected], or via regular mail to Coastal Conservation League, Human Resources, P.O. Box 1765, Charleston, SC 29402. No telephone calls, please. EOE.