Calling all Daniel Island commuters!
Remember the traffic chaos after the Wando River bridge on Interstate 526 was shut down in May? The emergency closure made clear how dependent we are on our cars. But there are viable alternatives to commuting by car, and this event will showcase what the future of transit could look like in our region—starting with water taxies!
- At 7 a.m., join us and local leaders for complimentary coffee and treats before boarding the ferry for downtown
- The ferry will depart from Children’s Park on Daniel Island (at the end of River Landing Drive) at 7:30 a.m.
- When we arrive downtown (at the Maritime Center dock) around 8 a.m., you will have several options to choose from for the final leg of your commute
- Bike to work with your own bike or a free bike from Gotcha Bike
- Take a CARTA bus, DASH Shuttle and/or HOP Shuttle
- Or use a ride-hailing company, like Uber or Lyft
- Meet us back at the downtown Charleston dock (Maritime Center) by 5:15 p.m. The ferry will depart for Daniel Island at 5:30 p.m.
Have more questions?
Q: How long is the boat ride?
A: Approximately 30 minutes.
Q: Is this just a one-day, one-time event?
A: The event will provide a sneak preview of a routine Daniel Island Ferry service that will launch in 2019! Let’s show how viable a ferry system can be for our waterways!
Q: Once I get to the Maritime Center dock, how do I get to work?
A: You will have several last-leg options! Ride Holy Spokes bike share for free courtesy of Gotcha Bike ( you will receive a full free day on Holy Spokes). Or bring your own bike on the boat! There are other options like CARTA, DASH Shuttle or HOP Shuttle (representatives will be on site to help you), in addition to rideshare programs. Once registered, we will provide a full list of options for you.
Q: Can I bring my bike?
A: Yes! A limited number of bikes are allowed on the boat, so RSVP fast!
Q: How will I pick up my reserved Gotcha Bike?
A: You will receive a promo code and instructions for use once you have registered for the event. Gotcha staff will be on site for assistance and additional questions once we arrive downtown.
Q: Have more questions?
A: Contact Community Outreach Coordinator Jasmine Gil at [email protected] or at 843-790-5266.