Title: Berkeley County Project Manager
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Funding: Grant funded, subject to annual renewal
Reports to: Communities and Transportation Program Director
Location: Berkeley County
Date: May 2020 – April 2021, subject to annual renewal
The Coastal Conservation League is engaged in a project to help guide future growth in Berkeley County with the goal of enhancing local communities and protecting natural assets. As a part of this project, we are seeking to hire a temporary community organizer who will be located in Berkeley County. This person will focus on developing and implementing a comprehensive land conservation strategy by establishing an urban growth boundary and a local conservation fund in the county.
This temporary position will work closely with staff from the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League and Audubon SC and will also involve engagement with county residents and elected officials to further land conservation programs and initiatives. He/She will be charged with organizing community members, engaging local elected officials, participating in the planning process in the towns of Summerville, Moncks Corner, and Goose Creek, and designing a public land conservation funding agenda.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
The primary responsibility of this temporary, project-based position will be to work with stakeholders to design and approve a county land conservation program. Leading this special initiative will be a one-year project, subject to annual renewal.
The ideal candidate is an outgoing self-starter who has a deep passion for Berkeley County and is willing to work creatively and collaboratively to advance the interests of the community.
The person functioning in the temporary project-based position of Berkeley County Project Manager will:
- Meet with elected officials in key municipalities and counties
- Represent the Coastal Conservation League and partners in a professional manner in the community
- Work directly with the community strategically and professionally
- Manage and report data input and tracking
- Communicate regularly with partners to further the urban growth boundary and referendum
- Take initiative to achieve outcomes, including campaigns, events, communications, and collaborative efforts
- Provide a quarterly status report
- Other duties as required
- Candidates must be self-motivated, able to exercise discretion and judgment, and willing to work flexible and sometimes long hours outside of normal office hours (including nights and weekends) in order to accomplish this temporary position’s functions and
- Candidates must have the ability to communicate with diverse communities and leaders.
- Candidates should have strong interpersonal skills, experience meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage tasks
- The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of the culture and structure of Berkeley
- Candidates will have the will and desire to meet challenging goals in a variety of circumstances.
- Candidates will have a demonstrated creative problem-solving
- Candidates will have an understanding of team building and a respect for the power of
- Candidates will have a good sense of humor and a strong interest in and commitment to furthering the goals of the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League to make the tri-county region a livable and vibrant community
The person selected for this temporary project-based position will need to operate in a professional office environment and in the community to attend meetings, lunches, dinners, and events. Office location to be determined in Berkeley County.
This employee travels frequently to Charleston, occasionally to Columbia, and to conferences and meetings, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree. Preference for a degree in a related field, but not required
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and long or irregular hours
- Demonstrated organizing experience
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Other duties may be required in this temporary job as requested by the Supervisor.
Please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Berkeley County Project Manager” via regular mail to South Carolina Coastal Conservation League, Human Resources, 131 Spring Street, Charleston, SC 29403. No telephone calls, please.