Classification: Fulltime, salaried
Reports to: Chief Conservation Officer
This employee is located in Georgetown (“North Coast”) and leads all efforts associated with the North Coast office of the Coastal Conservation League. He/she responds to specific threats to environmental resources, the community, and the quality of life in the Pee Dee region, including Georgetown/Horry/Williamsburg Counties.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
- Works with Conservation League staff to set strategy regarding specific issues.
- Officially represents the Conservation League in the community.
- Helps raise awareness of matters critical to the quality of life in the North Coast area.
- Helps establish and maintain effective working relationships with community members, governmental bodies, and other organizations and foundations; supports conservation and growth management activities by building and managing grassroots networks and activities and by working with local planning staff, elected officials and others.
- Maintains relationships with the Conservation League’s North Coast board members.
- Works with media to inform and promote the League’s position on various issues.
- Develops and promotes legislative policy relevant to North Coast issues.
- Tracks proposed ordinances and policies related to conservation and growth management, and tracks projects and development through permit and plan monitoring; mobilizes the community when needed.
- Works with legal representatives on area issues when needed.
- Supports Growfood Carolina and other Conservation League initiatives in the North Coast as needed.
- Communicates regularly and effectively, through presentations and written form, with the community on Conservation League issues.
- Stays current on local news by reading and engaging in community outreach.
- Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Monitoring and selection of potential Conservation League issues in the North Coast.
- Developing and implementing an effective strategy for each project, while distinguishing between the elements that should be discussed with Chief Conservation Office and/or Executive Director.
- Making decisions related to strategy and implementation.
- Managing internal and external relationships, meetings to attend, comments to submit, etc.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with members/donors, government staff and elected officials, other organizations/agencies, and private businesses, and accurately and appropriately representing/conveying the Conservation League’s interests.
This position requires excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills and an understanding of environmental issues including land use strategies, land conservation, energy and recycling, and sustainable agriculture. This employee demonstrates creative problem solving capability.
This employee plans and executes diverse projects under multiple deadlines, manages internal and external relationships, and makes decisions in a variety of situations. This position requires strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
The North Coast Office Director must be a team player able to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment. She/he must be flexible, adaptable, and willing to perform diverse duties beyond those stated explicitly in the job description. Candidate must be able to multi-task and work well under pressure.
The job operates in a professional office environment in Georgetown, SC. This role routinely uses technology equipment such as computers, projectors, and conference lines. Additionally, this position works within the community to attend meetings, lunches, dinners, and events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, and climb stairs. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This employee travels occasionally to Columbia and to the Charleston office, as well as to conferences and meetings, as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Willingness and ability to attend events beyond work hours.
- Experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated writing skills.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree (MBA, JD, MA, etc.).
- At least five years of experience in land use.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Other duties may be required in the job as requested by the Supervisor.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or via regular mail to Coastal Conservation League, Human Resources, P.O. Box 1765, Charleston, SC 29402. No telephone calls, please. EOE.